To help our pulmonologists diagnose, manage, and treat lung disease; there are a number of procedures and tests they may perform. Pulmonary function tests are one of the basic tests (PFT) that are helpful to diagnose and monitor variety of lung disorders.
Pulmonary function tests are helpful for a number of reasons. They may be used to:
- Measure the different aspects of lung function
- Help determine the cause of shortness of breath
- Help confirm lung diseases such as asthma, COPD, interstitial lung disease, etc.
- Measure how a lung disease is progressing or how serious the lung disease has become
- Assess how a patient is responding to different treatments
Pulmonary function tests are important since many kinds of lung problems can be successfully treated if detected early. We perform a variety of pulmonary function tests at our pulmonary function test lab including:
- Lung volumes
- Diffusion capacity
- Simple pulmonary stress test (exercise desaturation study)
- Methacholine inhalation challenge
We also partner with pulmonary function test labs associated with Holy Spirit Hospital® and PinnacleHealth® to provide other complex tests including arterial blood gas analysis, comprehensive cardiopulmonary exercise test, and high altitude simulation testing.